It is safe to say that bread is my favorite food. I could eat it everyday for every meal. It's just so yummy. And I don't really discriminate when it comes to bread. But that was before I met this loaf. It is easily the best bread around.
I first discovered it a few years ago and decided to make it again a few weeks ago when we had some friends over for dinner.
* 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 tbsp. white sugar
* 2 packages instant yeast
* 1 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. dried marjoram
* 1 tsp. dried thyme
* 1 tsp. dried rosemary
* 3/4 cup milk
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1 egg
* 1 tbsp. butter, melted
1. In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, salt, and herbs.
2. Heat milk, water, and 1/4 cup butter until very warm (120-130 degrees F); stir
into dry ingredients. Stir in egg and enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
3. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes.
Cover; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.
4. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece to 30 inch rope. Braid ropes;
pinch ends to seal. Tie knot in center of braid; wrap ends around knot, in
opposite directions, and tuck under to make round loaf. Place on greased baking
sheet. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubles in size, about 20
to 40 minutes.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 30 to 35 minutes or until done,
covering with foil during last 10 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning.
Melt remaining butter; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with additional herbs, if
desired. Remove from sheet; let cool on wire rack.
I hope you enjoy. It sure it yummy!