Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Lesson 68- Introducing the Best Bread

It is safe to say that bread is my favorite food. I could eat it everyday for every meal. It's just so yummy. And I don't really discriminate when it comes to bread. But that was before I met this loaf. It is easily the best bread around.

I first discovered it a few years ago and decided to make it again a few weeks ago when we had some friends over for dinner.

Ingredients:
* 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 tbsp. white sugar
* 2 packages instant yeast
* 1 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. dried marjoram
* 1 tsp. dried thyme
* 1 tsp. dried rosemary
* 3/4 cup milk
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1 egg
* 1 tbsp. butter, melted

Directions:
1. In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, salt, and herbs.
2. Heat milk, water, and 1/4 cup butter until very warm (120-130 degrees F); stir
into dry ingredients. Stir in egg and enough remaining flour to make soft dough.



3. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes.
Cover; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.
4. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece to 30 inch rope. Braid ropes;
pinch ends to seal. Tie knot in center of braid; wrap ends around knot, in
opposite directions, and tuck under to make round loaf. Place on greased baking
sheet. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubles in size, about 20
to 40 minutes.



5. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 30 to 35 minutes or until done,
covering with foil during last 10 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning.
Melt remaining butter; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with additional herbs, if
desired. Remove from sheet; let cool on wire rack.



I hope you enjoy. It sure it yummy!



Linking to:

It's a Blog Party
Blessed with GraceCrazy Daisy ButtonBeauty and Bedlam

4 comments:

  1. I love bread too! This looks so good! It's going on my list of things to make. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Beauty & Bedlam & It's a Blog Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley, thanks for visiting! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously looks super yummy! I will for sure have to give it a try. I love homemade bread. Thanks for stopping by my blog and your nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks super tasty!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know you stopped by...

Related Posts with Thumbnails