Sunday, December 19, 2010

Lesson 135- Sugar Cookies

I've decided that it's time I start making a collection of cookies to make each Christmas.  I figured sugar cookies would be a good place to start since you can cut lots of fun shapes and then decorate them.  And they're yummy too.

My recipe comes from a Pillsbury cookie book I bought at a book fair in Kindergarten and have held on to ever since (approx. 20 years now--and saying that makes me feel old).

Ingredients:
* 1 cup rolled sugar
* 1 cup butter, softenend
* 3 tbsp. milk
*1 tsp. vanilla
* 1 egg
* 3 cups flour
* 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, butter, milk, vanilla and egg; blend well.  Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.  Stir in flour, baking powder and salt; mix well.  Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour for easier handling.

Heat oven to 400*F.  On lightly floured surface, roll dough, 1/3 at a time to 1/8-inch thickness.  Cut with floured cookie cutter.  Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets; sprinkle with sugar.  Bake at 400*F for 5 to 9 minutes or until edges are light brown.  Immediately remove from cookie sheets.  Makes 5-6 dozen.

Once they are completely cooled, I take store-bought cookie icing and outline the cookie with icing.  Then with a butter knife, I spread the icing evenly towards the center.  Then I dip the cookie in a bowl of sprinkles.  Here's my first batch of Christmas cookies.



Mmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know you stopped by...

Related Posts with Thumbnails