Monday, February 1, 2010

Lesson 14-Chocolate Chip Scones

My mom and I discovered this recipe when I was fundraising money for my year in England. One Sunday after worship service, I hosted a "tea" based on donation. We made approximately 12 dozen scones and served tea and coffee. The recipe is delish! And better than any scone I had in England! But shhhhh...don't tell my English pals!

Last week, I decided to spice up the recipe and add chocolate chips. I thought they were yummy! And while making them, I discovered that although I have about 2 dozen different cookie cutters (inherited from my Grandma) none of them are in the shape of a circle. So I improvised and used a white wine glass. Worked perfectly!

Ingredients:
*2 C. all-purpose flour
*1/4 C. granulated white sugar
*2 tsp. baking powder
*1/8 tsp. salt
*1/3 C. cold unsalted butter
*1 large egg, lightly beaten
*1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
*1/2 C. heavy whipping cream, half & half, or milk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Egg Mixture for brushing tops:
*1 large egg, lightly beaten
*1 tbsp. cream or milk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Preheat oven to 375*F and place rack in middle of oven. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like course crumbs. In a small measuring cup combine the whipping cream, beaten egg and vanilla. Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Do not over mix!

3. Knead dough gently on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat dough into a circle that is 7 inches round and 3.75 cm thick. Cut this circle into rounds with a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter (or wine glass in my case!). Make a mixture of well-beaten egg and cream. Brush the tops of the scones with this mixture.

4. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and then turn boiler on high. Sift confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar heavily over the tops of the scones and place under the broiler. Broil for just a few seconds, turning the pan as necessary, until sugar has melted and turns golden brown. Make sure to watch the scones carefully as the sugar will burn very quickly. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Serve with Devon cream or softly whipped cream and your favorite jam.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you chose to add chocolate chips, I used 1/2 cup semi-sweet and served as is. But butter or clotted cream would be a great addition too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know you stopped by...

Related Posts with Thumbnails