Monday, January 18, 2010

Lesson 13- How to Help Haiti


The tragedy in Haiti is just that--a tragedy. I can't even begin to imagine the emotions the citizens and visitors to the island must be dealing with. I can't even imagine how I would feel in their shoes. I cant even imagine...

But what I can imagine is the hope and promise we all have in Jesus Christ.

"We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure..."--Hebrew 6:19

With all the chaos that we each encounter on a daily basis, it is comforting--at least in my opinion--to know that there will always be something permanent, constant, stable, and hopeful in my life. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, Alpha, Savior, Omega.

But what can we do to help our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, our brothers and sisters of the world. Here are a few things:

* PRAY!! Pray for the victims of the earthquake. Pray for the victim's families. Pray for the government of Haiti that they would seek God for counsel. Pray for relief workers coming from all over the world. Pray, pray, pray!

*Donate money to the relief cause. I've researched a few websites that I know to be reputable.

The American Red Cross
UNICEF
Lutheran World Relief
Hands & Feet Project

I'm still looking for other, non-monetary ways to help and will share those as soon as I find them. Please let me know if you discover anything.

I'll leave you with one last prayer from St. Francis of Assisi
Lord make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not seek so much
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know you stopped by...

Related Posts with Thumbnails