Monday, April 26, 2010

Lesson 40-Faith Like a Mustard Seed

So I found this really yummy Middle Eastern chicken recipe on thenest.com last week. I decided to try it last night. But I ran into a few complications. I love the spice rack we got from C & H for our wedding, but it seems to be lacking a few that I needed for my recipe. The first was tumeric. So I googled substitutions for tumeric. The most helpful answer I found was if you don't have it, don't use a substitute because that could drastically change the intended flavor.

The next spice I was missing was mustard powder. I had mustard seeds. I tried to be resourceful. Surely mustard powder is a by-product of mustard seeds, right? So I'll use my mustard seeds to make mustard powder. I poured some seeds into a Ziploc bag, pulled out our wooden cutting board and meat mallet and went to crushing the seeds.

But I came across a problem. Those little seeds weren't budging. And I wasn't getting any powder. So my manly Husband came to the rescue. He saw my struggle and was going to help. He took the mallet from my hand and too a whack. And another. And one more ear-splitting whack.




I looked down and he had split our cutting board right down the middle, and those pesky little mustard seeds were still seeds with no powder in sight. So I gave up. No Middle Eastern chicken after all.

And I thought it brought a whole new meaning to this verse:
He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

I'll let you know when I successfully make the Middle Eastern Chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know you stopped by...

Related Posts with Thumbnails