Isn't it beautiful?! It was on sale for $20 from a guy about 15 minutes from our house. Living in Phoenix, that's saying something. We brought it home and I immediately got working. First I wiped it down with some bleach water. Who knows what this guy was like! ;-)
It also looked like there had been stickers in some spots. I soaked those with water and then gently scraped them off. Easy squeezy! After it was dry, I sanded it down. Husband was nice enough to follow my sanding and wiped everything down again.
My next step was to stain it. I used the leftover stain from this project. And then it sat there to dry. And lucky for me it was colder than it should have been in Phoenix, so what should have dried in about 24 hours took more like 72 hours.
So mid-week I used a super fine sandpaper to sand it down a little in between coats. Then I started in on the second coat. Luckily it was still colder than it should have been and I had to wait another 72-ish hours for it to dry.
While I was waiting for the stain to dry, I headed to Hobby Lobby to look for some new knobs for the drawers. I wish it had been one of those awesome weeks when their knobs are 50% off, but it wasn't and I was too impatient to wait.
These are what I found. While I was there I got some pretty wrapping paper to line the drawers with.
And after patiently waiting for the second layer to dry I put on the new knobs and lined the drawer with my nemesis, Spray Adhesive. I was going to put Mod Podge as a protective layer, but it just wrinkled the paper and made it look dumb.
Anyways here's what the dresser replaced.
And here is the final product.